YouTube Channel Administration

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions YouTube Channel Administration

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions YouTube Channel Administration

• YouTube Channel Administration

Jonah Jorgenson updated 3 months ago 13 Members · 22 Posts
  • Jon_J

February 9, 2022 at 10:31 pm

Trolls are negatively impacting our Aptera community on YouTube. Active management of spamming and trolling is commonplace for YouTube channel owners and I suggest that more can be done in this regards.

There are numerous bad actors out there that clearly do not wish Aptera well. Perhaps some of these individuals are remunerated by competing interests such as big oil, big auto or anti-US innovation. Without some active preventive measures, we are letting them walk all over us.

Check out the Jay Leno Aptera video on YouTube and sort the comments by ‘Newest First’, then start looking through some of the comment replies. This video gets tons of views and a large percentage of commenters get a nasty negative response to their comment by ‘Sander Van Der Kammen’ and his common refrain that Aptera Motors is a “vaporware scam”. Such commenters may get an email notifying them of the nasty response by Sander. This is not a nice greeting for anyone just getting acquainted with the Aptera. Aptera Ambassador N Bruce Nelson has been responding tirelessly to the trolling, but he shouldn’t need to if the ‘Jay Leno’s Garage’ channel was more actively managing the trolling comments. These efforts are a waste of Bruce’s talent as an Ambassador. This Jay Leno video may be a harder case to crack since it is not on the Aptera Motors channel, but if Aptera Motors has contacts with the channel owner (Jay Leno’s Garage), which they likely do, then perhaps a request could be made.

Closer to home, the Aptera Motors channel has been getting trolled by frequent poster ‘Aussie ideas man’. To see, go to the latest Vehicle Dynamics Testing video and start clicking on the responses to the comments. You will see Aussie ideas man start to dominate the responses field with inane banter, insults and lies.

The ‘Aptera Owners Club’ channel (a great channel, BTW) does not seem to have this same problem with trolls, so I suspect this channel owner is taking a more active role in channel administration.

As far as what can be done? I looked myself and noted the following helpful video. I suspect applying these methods would help tremendously. I’m not an expert, for sure, but if I can help, let me know.

https://youtu.be/Zj16dK7m2N0

• John Malcom

February 10, 2022 at 2:06 am

Glad to see this post and the results of your research. I had a similar thought when I ran across “Ausie idea man” but didn’t do anything about it. You took the initiative! For the Aptera channel and the Aptera Owners Channel the moderators can apply these suggestions. It is frustrating to see the trolls/ haters on channels we don’t moderate, especially the prominent ones as you point out. It is hard to refrain from responding to their posts.

• Llewellyn Evans

February 11, 2022 at 6:24 pm

Aussie Ideas Man is Eric Lawton, a 68 year old retiree who lives with his wife Colleen in Springwood QLD. He can give it but can’t take it when it comes to bullying and even had an article written about him in the newspaper with his law suit against the Logan council for his perceived bullying over a fence. Oh and don’t go to his youtube channel and confront his opinions about his “Free Energy machine” using science ….. he has a full throw yourself on the ground tantrum. 🤓

• Riley ________________________________

February 10, 2022 at 2:32 am

This kind of negative spam is so common that many of the younger generation have become totally numb to it and ignore it. Only down side is if there is an actual valid point it will be overlooked because it’s not agreeing with me.

• Jon_J

February 10, 2022 at 8:17 am

Yes, true. Don’t want to be overly aggressive with moderating negative input as that can stifle discourse which could be valuable. If there are no negative comments, then that looks odd, too. My interest is in stemming the few deliberate bad actors who repeat lies and misinformation over and over again. Their actions limit useful discussion.

Since I’m not a channel owner, I’ve been using the three dot menu to the right of the comment to report it when the trolling is especially egregious. I’m interested to know how effective this is. It does make the comment disappear from my view, but I don’t know if it disappears for anyone else. I don’t know if it has any implications on the ability of the poster to continue trolling. Perhaps it could drive a review of the poster’s posting habits by a YouTube administrator, but maybe this is wishful thinking.

• Guy SKEER

February 10, 2022 at 8:28 am

TY Jon_J for Pointing this out, and Being Pro-Active. I will Amp Up My efforts in the same Vein.

• Thomas Bushaw

February 10, 2022 at 10:21 am

The Nick Nimmin video you cite has a couple great tips for monitoring a YouTube channel that belongs to you. If you want to help somebody monitor their channel ask them if they can select you as a moderator. Also, this video has some additional (complementary) tips for filtering out the undesirables from commenting on your videos. As mentioned here and in other comments on this thread, do try to distinguish the malicious and trolling comments from the ones that are just disagreeing with you. Sometimes it’s tough to tell the difference.

• John Malcom

February 10, 2022 at 11:53 am

Thanks for enlisting in the effort. Hopefully more of us will work on this get better at it and be successful at supporting positive views of Aptera on all social media

• Bob Kirchner

February 10, 2022 at 2:57 pm

Aussie Ideas Man seems to have only three ideas.

1) everyone who disagrees with him is stupid, even if better informed.

2) COVID could be solved in Austrailia if EVERYONE would just DO EXACTLY AS HE SAYS.

3) Aptera is a “scam”. This is based on distortions or misinterpretations of Aptera’s actions so far, or simple factual errors.

I can accept that someone could look at Aptera (the vehicle or the company) and in good faith conclude that it has little chance of success, but the Man of Three Ideas has no basis to assert that Fambro and Anthony are deliberately scamming their investors/ reservation holders in order to enrich themselves.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  Bob Kirchner.
    • Llewellyn Evans

February 10, 2022 at 9:57 pm

Don’t worry Bob. Aussie ideas man (aka Eric from Brisbane) is pushing perpetual motion machines on his youtube channel. Just ask him about that sheer stupidity.

• Llewellyn Evans

February 12, 2022 at 6:06 pm

Hi Bob, Don’t let him get you down. He is the one with the problems.

He is obviously a narcissist and almost certainly a psychopath. He has absolutely no empathy. He is not right in the head.

• Ray Holan

February 10, 2022 at 4:58 pm

Thanks, Jon. Aptera has hired a woman as director of PR. I suspect responding to negative or false posting will be one of the issues on her list. I don’t know if it’s better to let trolls do their thing and NOT engage with them or not. I subscribe to a number of forums and each of them has their share of ego-driven know-it-alls who seem to be there just to pick an argument. Life’s too short.

• Llewellyn Evans

February 13, 2022 at 1:38 pm

His game is not the same as ours. Our game is to talk about cars. His game is to yank your chain.

Aussie IDeaS man (AIDS man) is an absolutely textbook example of a psychopath. If you upset him, he will attack because he is a narcissist with no need for self restraint.

He is looking for passionate people so that he can use their passion to make them dance on his strings. That is why he will never concede an argument and why he is rude. It is to make your blood pressure go up and get you going. I forget where it is but he actually says how gleeful he is to get people going and how much fun he is having. That is why he calls you idiots, from his perspective you are. To him you are not people, you are like kittens that he can make run around chasing a laser dot. Realise that he is playing a different game and you have him worked out.

• Jacob Schmugge

February 11, 2022 at 7:01 pm

I generally respond, “If you don’t like Aptera and aren’t going to buy one, then why do you even care?” It’s not a silver bullet, but generally exposes them to themselves as posers and trolls, and has gotten those trolls to chill. They are people who compensate for lack of agency in a life they where they don’t [believe] they have the ability to make their own, and think they are saviors protecting us from our own decisions, because they are trapped in their limited bubble of perspective and in that narrow minded conceit think that we can’t make informed decisions for ourselves.

• Oz (It’s Oz, just Oz)

February 13, 2022 at 2:58 pm

Just as a helpful hint, and a bit of perspective. Aussie ideas man, don’t engage him, ignore him, and for Gods sake don’t click on any of his videos. If you look at his YouTube channel overview, he has (currently) 20 videos, 7 are Aptera related, 2 are EV related, and the other 11 are mix of whatever lunacy has grabbed his attention at the time. (Covid, free energy, water shortages) The Apteras account for about 4,600 and more views, the other 13 total about 900 including the 2 EVs (Which were probably Aptera folk.) are about 300 so subtract that from the 900. He wants to feel important, and we’re giving him hope, we’re responding, just ignore him and he’ll sink back under whatever bridge he climbed out from under. (Feel free to send him links to videos of you in your Aptera when the time comes, I’m sure he’ll just brush it off as mass hysteria.)

• Llewellyn Evans

February 13, 2022 at 3:02 pm

Much appreciated. Thanks for the advice Oz.

• Llewellyn Evans

March 28, 2022 at 10:20 pm

As of this moment the March update on youtube has around 415 comments. 85 are troll posts from Aussie ideas man bullying people with genuine interest.

How is it in our interests to make comments when we are going to be bullied for it?

20% of the posts are trolling, this may push statistics for the site up OR down because it is stifles genuine conversation.

At some point customers begin to abandon the updates after having had a bad online experience.

Acceptance of differing views is one thing, tacit acceptance for online bullying of customers is something else.

He should be blocked.

• Ray Holan

March 29, 2022 at 7:35 am

Couldn’t agree more, Llewellyn.

• Llewellyn Evans

March 29, 2022 at 3:36 pm

Fingers crossed.

• Elzo Stubbe

April 1, 2022 at 9:49 am

Frankly this individual makes me sick to the stomach. His behavior is very abnormal. It would be a true relieve to say goodbye to him……..

• Jonah Jorgenson

April 1, 2022 at 5:20 pm

It is a good thing he lives in Australia. If he lived in the US someone would invoke the Baker Act and have him committed for a psych eval.

• Vernon Michael Gardner

April 1, 2022 at 10:51 am

When I see a troll, I report them and then block them. I do not engage them.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now