Should Tesla connectors be US standard?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Should Tesla connectors be US standard?

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Should Tesla connectors be US standard?

• Should Tesla connectors be US standard?

John Malcom updated 6 months ago 8 Members · 10 Posts
  • Pistonboy Delux

January 1, 2022 at 8:40 pm

Should CCS connectors be the US standard, or should the US adopt the Tesla connector as the US standard?

I am sure Tesla would be happy to allow usage of their connector as the nation’s standard.

It is not too late. The building out of the US charging network is still in its infancy.

Perhaps someone with Tesla experience can speak up. Does the Tesla system require a charge card on file? Are there any Tesla charge systems that will allow you to enter your charge card information for that specific charge like at gas stations?

Considering the president’s snubbing of Tesla at his press meeting, would he even consider it?

The Tesla connector looks much more convenient and easier to use. The CCS connector looks gigantic. What ever the choice, the nation will be stuck with it for a very long time.

• kerbe2705

January 1, 2022 at 10:11 pm

Point #1: CCS has already been adopted as the national standard

Point #2: Tesla offered to share its charging tech but there were too many strings attached

Point #3: See point #1

Point #4: Tesla requires drivers to have an online account – you cannot “pay to charge”.

Point #5: Tesla wasn’t snubbed – that press conference was for legacy manufacturers who had or were about to launch EVs. No EV-only manufacturers were included.

Point #6: The Tesla connector is elegant as it works for both AC and DC charging but every non-Tesla EV and PHEV in North America and Japan has a J-1772 connector, in Europe an IEC 62196 Type 2 “Mennekes” connector and in China a GB/T connector for AC charging and either a CCS Type 1 (US/Japan), CCS Type 2 (Europe) or GB/T DC in China. The Japanese ChaDeMo connector is now no longer being used in new vehicles. So it pretty much comes down to a patent issue: Why pay Tesla to use its proprietary connector when we already have a connector we can use without charge?

• Thomas Bushaw

January 1, 2022 at 10:42 pm

I wish the Aptera Community Discussions had a “Like” button (and count). If they did @kerbe2705 ’s response above would get one from me.

• John Wiley

January 1, 2022 at 11:10 pm

???? (That’s the closest I could get to “Like”). Very educational for me. Thanks.

• John Malcom

January 2, 2022 at 1:08 am

Two choice choices. The first, Tesla, locked into one vendors technology and the country subject to the whims of that vendors technology and processes. The second, CCS. An open standard not tied to a specific vendor but established by committee with broad representation.

The choice is clear, CCS

• BigSky Country

January 2, 2022 at 2:06 am

Great responses made here as I’m dead against Being locked into Tesla. My only add would be it wouldn’t make sense for a company whose philosophy is to support and promote right to repair to choose a proprietary charging network.

• John Malcom

January 2, 2022 at 9:17 am

An excellent point missed by other posters

• Joshua Rosen

January 2, 2022 at 6:43 am

CCS is a gruesome kludge, it was designed by monkeys. Unfortunately we are stuck with it for perpetuity, it’s impossible to change a standard once it’s been widely adopted. Our houses use Edison’s plug and light socket. The only change in the last 130 years is the addition of a ground but the form factor is backward compatible.

Ideally they would come up with a CCS3 standard that has the elegance of the Tesla connector and deploy it before the current public charging system gets too built out. At the moment the vast majority of EVs on American roads are Tesla’s, there are so few CCS cars that it would be theoretically possible to fix their mistake if they were to do it in the next year. Unfortunately that timeline is impossible. By the time that they had a new CCS3 connector there will be a million CCS1 EVs on the road.

The only real hope for fixing the CCS mess is wireless charging but I don’t know if it’s capable of high speed charging or just level 2 rates.

As an aside, saw an interesting video about why the US uses 120 (originally 110) and Europe uses 240 (originally 220). Edison’s bulb used a carbon filament and it could only handle 110V. After the Chicago Worlds Fair Americans quickly adopted electric lighting and also we were building sky scrapers where gas lighting would have been difficult and dangerous. The tungsten filament bulb was developed a decade later in 1906. Tungsten could handle a higher voltage. At the time copper was very expensive so using a higher voltage had a significant cost advantage. There weren’t a lot of European electricity users yet so it was possible for the power companies to give away the new tungsten bulbs to everyone and switch the voltage to 220. In the US there were already 20 million houses that used electricity so it wasn’t possible here, the 110V standard was locked in.

• John Malcom

January 2, 2022 at 9:29 am

Your personal opinion only

Of course it wasn’t designed by monkeys. The designers were technically qualified representatives in their field. Unless you claim master level qualification in charging technology I would suggest you be a little more gracious in your comments about other technical professionals.

Like any other new standard, it is evolving and will continue to do so. It it is an open standard and accepted as such for the U.S. and not tied to a vendors proprietary architecture.

• Guy SKEER

January 2, 2022 at 7:57 am

@Joshua, et al: It is Ever Thus, with Respect to Standards!

Probably Apocryphal, but the Roman WarHorses vs The Space Shuttle….

In My Work on Container Cranes, One Time, I received some New Hoisting Cable on a Very Obviously Old and Grotty Cable Reel. It still connected to the Winch machinery just like all the other Cable Reels We had ever handled. However, on a Metal Plate affixed to the Cable Reel, many times painted over, the Legend embossed thereon read something like: “conforms to the Standard of U.S. Army, 1893….”

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now