Elaphe News

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Elaphe News

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Elaphe News

• Elaphe News

ROMAD updated 4 months, 2 weeks ago 13 Members · 23 Replies
  • john-trotter

August 24, 2022 at 4:50 pm

Great bits of insight. Now makes me need to go back to an earlier question on wheel material. Maybe a light, forged, alloy wheel would be useful to offset a bit of the in-wheel motor weight.

• kerbe2705

August 24, 2022 at 10:38 pm

@John Trotter All Aptera iterations are currently rolling on aluminum alloys with 195/45 R16 rubber.

• ROMAD

August 24, 2022 at 9:53 pm

I wish they would post the clip where he discusses the Aptera.

• Markus

August 25, 2022 at 4:24 am

Who “he”?

In case you mean the interviewer, here you go:

Unfortuntely, all his interviews seem to be pretty shallow and only cut out segments of a longer conversation.

• ROMAD

August 25, 2022 at 1:07 pm

No. Gorazd Gotovac. This is what was in the 53 minute podcast:

Gorazd joined Episode 113 of the Future of Mobility podcast to discuss topics including:

– The potential of in-wheel motors

– Why distributed drive EVs haven’t taken off at-scale yet

– How Elaphe’s technology overcome the typical challenges associated with in-wheel motors

– Elaphe’s partnerships with Aptera and Lightyear

– Innovator’s Dilemma and Crossing the Chasm

The 3 minute YT video just covered the first item. I want to see the clip of him discussing #4

• Biker

January 12, 2023 at 7:42 pm

Chris chimes in at about 1:55 of this video – there’s also an interesting render of the power distribution within the Apetra.

Elaphe story – YouTube

• Mike-Mars

January 13, 2023 at 3:50 am

I’m not 100% sure, but I think the power distribution animation is based on Alpha/Beta? I spotted a couple of things, firstly the cables are routed on a different arm compared to the Delta CGI, and is that the battery which angles upwards behind the seats (or maybe a firewall?)

• Biker

January 13, 2023 at 6:14 am

Yes, Alpha based animation and that battery configuration is for the 1,000 mi version.

• bruce-mengler

January 19, 2023 at 9:54 am
  • jesthorbjorn

January 19, 2023 at 11:14 am

Perhaps we will learn the extent to which this is relevant tomorrow?

• Mike-Mars

January 19, 2023 at 11:56 am

The article says that they are 800v inverters, but Aptera’s power system is below 400v (Elaphe lists 300v for the M700 motor). So not relevant, I would presume (unless they are overspecifying)?

• trevor-anderson

January 19, 2023 at 1:16 pm

Talking a couple different things here:

Inverters: all inverters have an effective range for power conversion; they list the maximum because in the world of racing higher voltage means skinnier cables because less amperage. I am sure there is a wide operating range of these inverters and I am sure Aptera’s entire battery voltage range is well above the minimum voltage of the inverter.

Battery voltage: tesla’s have battery voltages 350-375 (based on a quick google) so I would not expect a higher voltage for Aptera. Since its such a small battery pack they arent going to go nuts with charging speed since it will be comparatively fast.

traction motors: Its been said that Apter will have one inverter per powered wheel (two inverters for two front motors, additional inverter for rear motor); which take DC and convert it to multiphase AC . This implies there is a different set of inverters that charge the battery; their are inverters that can be used as traction inverters as well as battery charging but it looks like Aptera will ship with traction inverters and a separate charge inverter.

• kerbe2705

January 19, 2023 at 5:39 pm

@Trevor Anderson Yes, there are two different kinds of inverter at play: The inverters for the motors convert DC to AC and also vary the frequency of the current to control the speed of the motor – this is why they’re frequently called “motor controller” instead of inverters. The inverter used for L1 and L2 charging converts AC to DC, period, unless the vehicle has V2L or V2G capability, in which case it also does the exact opposite.

• kerbe2705

March 2, 2023 at 11:25 am

Here’s a video about their current work..

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=775518680224339

• john-malcom

March 2, 2023 at 1:18 pm

Kerbe2705. Thanks for posting this. Unsprung weight is a periodic concern about Aptera because of the use of the Elaphe wheel motors. It is good to see that they continue to analyze and engineer refinements to address the mediation of this issue. I think that between Aptera and Elaphe it will not be an issue on LEs or other produciton Apterae inspite of the deleted segment in the simulation video showing a reaction attributed to unsprung weight.

• Biker

March 2, 2023 at 2:09 pm

For those that can’t see the above video at FB, here’s the same one at Youtube:

SYS2WHEEL project – innovating solutions for future BEVs to serve CO2-free city transport – YouTube

• Biker

March 24, 2023 at 9:51 am

Elaphe will host a webinar on 3/28 at 9AM PST – to sign up go to:

Webinar on Functional Safety (FuSa) – Elaphe (in-wheel.com)

• Biker

April 10, 2023 at 10:48 am

The Functional Safety Webinar recording can be found on Youtube at:

Elaphe Webinar on Functional Safety – YouTube

• Markus

December 15, 2023 at 5:44 am

Santa “Elaphe” Aptera 2023

No biggie, just 5 seconds of Aptera in the 90 seconds short video.

But IMO the video is very well made. A snappy, fast and cheerful presentation of in whose projects and products they are involved.

P.S.

Of course this is no news, it has not been me who posted it here. Great way to disengage users.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Markus Schmid. Reason: Adding former thread title and P.S
  • Dr.D

December 15, 2023 at 5:49 am

👍

• craig-merrow

December 15, 2023 at 6:45 am

That was fun to watch! I ran through it several times, including rewinding to see the Aptera part again. And again. And again. 🙂

Edit: More ancient Greek! Got this from the Elaphe website:

Elaphe (pronounced elâfe) is a name attributed to a non-venomous snake in ancient Greece. It was considered a symbol of healing in ancient mythology (the Aesculapian snakes). To this day, healing-related fields depict a snake wrapped around the Rod of Asclepius, as a symbol of medicine (such as doctors, pharmacies, etc.), which is in present day depicted (albeit through some historical misrepresentation) by the caduceus, the traditional staff of Hermes.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Craig Merrow. Reason: Elaphe information
    • john-malcom

December 15, 2023 at 7:26 am

Interesting factoid

• ROMAD

December 15, 2023 at 7:45 am

The Rod of Asclepius is similar to the Brazen Serpent of Moses. As for the caduceus confusion, that stems from its adoption as the symbol for the US Army’s Medical Corps in 1902.

or to reply.