Fleets and Government Contracts

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Fleets and Government Contracts

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Fleets and Government Contracts

• Fleets and Government Contracts

norman-roberts updated 1 year, 1 month ago 7 Members · 8 Replies
  • david-marlow

March 16, 2023 at 2:09 pm

There has been one announcement of a fleet order for 100 Apteras.

• Biker

March 21, 2023 at 12:20 pm

“Solar mobility company Aptera Motors has received its first fleet order from eco-accelerator SustainabilitySooner, Inc.™ In a move that unifies each organization’s vision toward a greener future, SustainabilitySooner has placed a pre-order for 101 400-mile range, all-wheel drive solar electric vehicles to mobilize its team. This reservation, valued at $3.35 million in future revenue, represents the first of many anticipated partnerships between Aptera Motors and companies that desire a fleet solution with less environmental impact.”

Aptera Motors Receives First Fleet Order from SustainabilitySooner.com | Aptera

• george-hughes

March 21, 2023 at 1:13 pm

I’m waiting for the ‘big order’ – not 100. Rather I’m thinking of the leasing company that orders so many they have to build a new assembly plant to fulfill the order.

This could be a rental firm like National Car Rental who may try to build 200,000 units in the next six or seven years figuring they can re-manufacture them into self-drivers after five years or more of direct rental.

It could even be a country like India which could build them as a national effort that ultimately will save them money and let them actively show progress towards de-carbonization.

Heck, if you rewound the motors for power and speed, one might armor the Aptera as I wonder if the military might use such a vehicle as a combat enhancing vehicle that includes defensive radar that lets it move quicker than enemy weaponry can respond thus avoiding destruction. With various mods, one wonders what all you could launch from its ‘deck’.

Who knows if the efforts could work but even exploratory efforts in that regard might uncover unknown attributes to the CF body in off-road circumstances.

And before you think I’m being silly, think of all the consumer variations we have on 4X4s from lifted bodies and massive tires to whatever.

The point is people are going to do all sorts of things with the platform that no one is qualified to predict other than to say it is going to be exciting for those whose curiosity is up to the task.

• warren-smith

March 21, 2023 at 3:38 pm

George-Hughes,

You are certainly thinking out of the box. I was just commenting on the conversation going on around the government wanting to be greener. But having the Aptera available for a rental company and all the other ideas you shared – – – MIND BLOWING to me.

Aptera leaders, I hope you’re listening to this guy!!!!

• george-hughes

March 21, 2023 at 6:00 pm

You noticed the ‘fleet link.’ I suspect they have a few inquiries but the plain fact is they’re not ready to sign or seal any of those deals.

And they won’t be ready for any of those ‘deals’ until they’ve built the first Aptera using the lean-manufacturing process that includes every thing from the CF bodies to the source for the paper mats they’ll put in the floorboard as a courtesy.

The plain fact is the Aptera has been engineered to be put together efficiently but the folks who are building the components may not, as yet, be as advanced.

In the long run, and I’m thinking over the next decade you’ll see the choice of advanced materials (CF, etc.) coupled with the first principle of efficiency proliferate where there maybe three or four in-wheel motor-makers, ditto for ADAS systems and UI’s

Indeed, that is what happens if the rental companies see the inherent advantages of remanufacturing in terms of sustainability. In addition rebuilding of subsystems could almost become a cottage industry.

With all the AI and BS being floated and flouted, we need to also think about the social/human/community advantages that Aptera’s counter-intuitive diffuse rather than mega-centralized production process. Tesla ‘fan boyz’ are of the musky opinion that you’ve got to control everything and the best way to do that is to have it all under one roof in one corporate structure with one corporate goal which, considering the role Mars plays in the narrative, could be distilled to run away 🙂

That’s a little harsh but I like a world where a better idea is effectively shared and celebrated. Take EVs for instance; you can’t escape the shade thrown by those who have worked publicly and privately to preserve the value of their unsustainable oligopolies. (the example shown is the reason for the link.)

• Phil

March 21, 2023 at 11:18 pm

Here’s another possible mass purchase. USPS is only now in the process of planning how to go green. With 32 cubic feet of cargo space, the cheapest 250 mile Aptera could be the perfect postal delivery vehicle as well. If Peter Jorgensen reads this, can you possibly do a render of what this might look like? Something Aptera could show them as a first step? Here’s a link to their plans as of now….https://about.usps.com/newsroom/national-releases/2022/1220-usps-intends-to-deploy-over-66000-electric-vehicles-by-2028.htm

• noah-blumenthal

March 22, 2023 at 5:10 am

Very excited for the 100 vehicle order! These things build momentum. Can’t wait for what’s next.

I also wonder what kind of use cases involve regular use at under let’s say 75 miles/day? With the 250 configuration that would mean plugging in at most 1/week.

* Security (mall, et al)

* Municipal (my 1 square mile town has a town vehicle that toodles around, not sure why)

What else? What else?

• norman-roberts

March 22, 2023 at 8:38 am

Take a look at the company that placed the 101 vehicle order. See if you can tell how they plan to pay for the Apteras

or to reply.