Solar Panels in the Trunk

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar Panels in the Trunk

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Solar Panels in the Trunk

• Solar Panels in the Trunk

• Martin Gardener

September 4, 2022 at 12:20 pm

I think that a simple and cost-effective accessory for Aptera would be a pair of full-size fold out solar panels in the trunk? These are not very expensive and would make a huge difference to the solar charging ability – probably more than doubling it; especially for customers like me in the UK where solar radiation is poor for half of the year.

• BRUCE MENGLER

September 4, 2022 at 12:31 pm

How do you plan on preventing the extra PV panels from walking away from the Aptera when it is parked & unattended? Realize that bolt cutters are more portable than PV panels.

• Len Nowak

September 4, 2022 at 12:32 pm

I love Aptera’s mobile solar charge which would work “whenever the sun shines on it” Even when I I am on the move!

I am getting full solar

( I don’t think it can charge while under a rapid DC charge)

But for my wife’s EV ( Not an Aptera. ) I am investigating this product

https://beamforall.com

As we need shade in the desert!

Of course adding a few more PV solar panels to my house array is less expensive

• Ray Holan

September 4, 2022 at 3:13 pm

I support your idea, Martin. Yes, parking the Aptera and setting up the panels outside the vehicle would need to be done in a secure area. Nevertheless, there have been several mentions by Chris A. that Aptera would allow external panels to be connected. I assume it would be a MC4 outlet but we’ll have to wait and see.

• John Malcom

September 4, 2022 at 3:58 pm

Aptera has confirmed that a connector for external panels will be furnished in the production Aptera. The owner can connect what ever panel arrangement they wish to acquire to the connector. Since there are many possible use cases for additional external solar, it should be the responsibility of the owner to acquire an array that is suitable. Aptera should not be expected to supply such arrays which are commonly available as a commodity purchase from many sources. We want to keep the burden on Aptera as light as possible until the is a steady revenue stream and Aptera does not need to rely solely upon investment capital.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  John Malcom. Reason: Added idea
  • Alain Chuzel

September 5, 2022 at 7:50 am

Before plugging in, however, be sure to understand voltage, current and power limits. I’ve said it before. Magic smoke is difficult, at best, to put back in….

• Ray Holan

September 5, 2022 at 8:27 am

Absolutely, Alain. Personally, I’m extremely careful about reading the manual (yes, I know guys are not supposed to do that!) and double-checking safety limits.

• Dennis Swaney

September 5, 2022 at 11:43 am

As many owners of cars with Lucas electrics learned! 🤣

• Ray Holan

September 6, 2022 at 12:38 pm

Ah, Lucas — Prince of Darkness.

• kerbe2705

September 6, 2022 at 9:28 am
Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 replies

or to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018