Sound System

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Sound System

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Sound System

• Sound System

Posted by ROMAD on June 8, 2022 at 12:38 pm

Will there be an Aux port in the sound system? I figure it will have Bluetooth but I have legacy equipment that doesn’t have BT and requires use of an 1/8″ audio cable. On a related note, will there be a 12vdc power port as my legacy equipment uses between 6 & 12 vdc so a 5v USB port won’t do.

ROMAD replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 21 Members · 28 Replies
  • 28 Replies
  • Sound System

ROMAD updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago 21 Members · 28 Replies
  • konijntje

June 8, 2022 at 1:12 pm

I just need build in spotify or android auto and im set. On that note, please make sure android auto works wireless….

• Aptera-1

July 8, 2022 at 9:07 pm

Hello Aptera, I was curious if there is any new information on what the Enhanced audio Option will get us pre-order holders. I assume integrated audio in the center screen but what kind of amplification would we get and how many speakers. Gotta jam out while cruising you know. 👍😃👍

• kerbe2705

July 8, 2022 at 10:31 pm

@Bill Embry The only detail that I can ever recall being mentioned was that the Enhanced option would include transmission-line speakers would be built into the body. There’s never been any mention of the “standard” audio option.

I’m guessing that this will be a “wait and hear” situation, once the design of the vehicle has been finalized.

• john-ockert

August 13, 2022 at 6:05 am

I agree with @Bill Embry . I would like to know more details in general and am curious about the audio system and how it will affect the range. 🎵

• christopher-barrett

August 13, 2022 at 7:32 am

My understanding was that one of the early investors, has a business doing audio, and he was supposed to be designing the enhanced system. Extra speakers, all around to balance out the range. Not sure, but some good tunes will be happening, can you hear the Beach Boys, Thinking of Good Vibrations?

• Sam

August 13, 2022 at 11:04 am

I recall the same, an investor.

Nice tunes is a must, at any cost!

• Graeme

August 13, 2022 at 1:34 pm

The early Investor is Patrick Quilter, I believe. https://www.quilterlabs.com/

There has been very little info on the Audio system that I could find.

This is description direct from the options page ” An extra three channels of audio brings great sound depth along with an added lightweight transmission-line subwoofer for accurate and deeper bass response.”

As far as I know this would be the first factory audio system two include a transmission line sub enclosure. Which should make it the most accurate factory sub in existence. I’m really looking forward to it.

It will likely take up some significant space. I’m assuming they’ll sneak it behind the seats under the trunk liner. I could see it not being compatible with the 1000 mi battery.

The last tidbit I remember hearing sometime ago, is that they were working on designing some extremely lightweight drivers. That had me a little concerned. I’m hoping they don’t compromise audio performance for an extra 0.5% of range.

Steve Fambro is the audiophile. So I have faith, that audio quality will be a priority. Hopefully someone can prod him for the latest info.

• Pistonboy

August 14, 2022 at 6:52 pm

If we do not purchase the enhanced audio system, I assume we get the standard default audio system. But what is that? Silence? No audio system? The sound of the front two motors humming in two part harmony as we go around corners?

• Matt

September 21, 2022 at 11:56 am

I have to put in my 2 cents here. I do consider myself to be an Audiophile. It started with the car I had in HS. A Quadrophonic 8-Track Tape Player. A friend of mine wrote a song about us in HS in which he mentioned it. Then, in the US Army, after a lot of reading and learning about commercial sound equipment. I bought a $3,000 (in 1975 dollars) 125W per Channel Quadrophonic System. I studied Sound Equipment a lot in those days leading up to its purchase. Now, I use the computer I built with 5.1 Surround Sound Logitech G906 speaker System. Each speaker is around 2 feet from my head with the Sub behind me on the floor. So, yes I too want a GREAT Sound System!

I have the Sound Package Upgrade on my pre-order. For me, USB Ports, and a 12V Cigarette Lighter Socket are musts. Both of which can handle numerous connections. The USB port can drive 127 connections and the 12V can expand, but I am not sure how many (In HS I had a 4 port) 12V expander. Probably a current limit in there (I am an Electrical Engineer too).

I-Pods are no longer in production I believe. But, I do have an iPod I’d like to continue using. So, it needs to have an Apple Lightning Connector, or an Adapter for whatever connection there is to 5V power and the Audio Channels of the Sound System. Now, all that could be in the Central UI Interface. If I can upload my library into it somehow.

I am sure many people would also want a CD Player. Ripping thousands of CDs onto it to upload my library would be a real PITA. I have them stored on a 6 ft. long dowel rod contraption I built. If the Apple iTunes software could be uploaded via the Central UI over the air, then the iPod could handle that. Problem Solved.

Will the Central UI be a Laptop or Laptop-Like? Can we upload other software onto it? What Ports will it have? How large is the Storage Capacity? My library is over 40GB on a 64GB iPod. My PC has 44.1TB of storage. 20TB are USB external backup drives. I sure would like to have access to the UI as I have on my PC. There are 78GB of stuff on my dedicated Music Drive (Some of the space is taken up by a lot of Album Cover Images).

Inquiring Minds Want to Know

The image shows my PC with a stereo AudioEngine 2.1 Speaker System before I bought the Logitech G906 system

• AlexA

November 19, 2022 at 6:07 am

Hey guys, does anyone know anything about what the MM system will be like?

Meaning will it have Android Auto / Apple Carplay or ( me hoping ) just a simple phone mirroring option so you can use your phone as the source for navigation and other things. This way they don’t have to waste time and effort creating a new system since we already have everything in our pocket.

Also how do you connect and charge? Wireless or cable? Already mentioned this on the Drive the Lightning YT channel that a few USB ports and even one near the mirror to be able to attach a dashcam in case it doesn’t have a camera system like Tesla. Haven’t seen one mention about those in any video iirc.

• ROMAD

November 19, 2022 at 7:32 am

Nobody knows other than it is described thusly:

Enhanced Audio

Additional $600

An extra three channels of audio brings great sound depth along with an added lightweight transmission-line subwoofer for accurate and deeper bass response.

• Mike-Mars

November 19, 2022 at 8:17 am

> ” Android Auto / Apple Carplay “

They’ve said that neither of those will be ready when the first production vehicles start to be delivered.

Having said that, I think there is a chance they could do an OTA update to add that functionality later.

• kerbe2705

November 19, 2022 at 9:57 pm

@Michael Marsden Actually, they stated – explicitly – that Aptera would have neither Android Auto nor Apple CarPlay, not that it would be added later.

Last we heard they had not changed their minds on this.

• jesthorbjorn

November 19, 2022 at 4:50 pm

They have said before that there will be no proprietary entertainment service provider provisions. But Blue Tooth for sure. With that, anything your phone can do can be piped in the car infotainment system.

Be nice to have a few USB ports for charging or plugging in a thumb drive for playing music or podcasts. Aux port would be nice. Even if it doesn’t have an FM radio, that would be okay. I have that functionality on my phone too.

Come to think of it, I have an all-band radio receiver USB dongle too. Wonder if I’d be able to run my SDR software on the car? Hmmm…

• scott-gilbert

February 6, 2023 at 2:12 pm

I wonder what the Enhanced Audio is all about if there is no AM/FM and no Apple Play ? Just great speaker upgrade to play your streaming or Spotify music thru? Will sound great with my saved Podcasts I guess. Can there be space to install a radio or stereo with CD player?

• tim-v

February 6, 2023 at 3:23 pm

I believe I heard CA mention on one video that they would support Bluetooth streaming. On my current car, I always listen to streaming music or podcast through my car’s audio, and it sounds great.

• Sam

March 5, 2023 at 10:55 am

I can’t wrap my head around not having a head unit. How do you go about getting good tunes from Bluetooth? Or is there another way?

• tim-v

March 5, 2023 at 11:29 am

In my current car, I use Pandora. My phone automatically links to my car’s BT streaming connection, and most of the time Pandora starts on it’s own. If I’ve been listening to something else, then that starts up. There are tons of streaming options, Spotify, Apple Music, You Tube music, etc. Or you can have a playlist stored on your phone. If I plug in a thumb drive to the USB port, it will play music from there. I almost never use the in car radio anymore.

• curtis-cibinel

March 5, 2023 at 11:48 am

Aptera will have very limited software development budget and even Tesla doesn’t support all the music services. Use of bluetooth to send them is basically essential and gives essentially every option available. Even tesla really only Spotify meaning bluetooth is needed if that isn’t your service of choice (I use Youtube Music). It sucks to need to use the phone to control it but in general I start it up when I sit down and have it on random.

PS: I would also be surprised if Aptera supported netflix/prime/disney+/youtube and other services for entertainment when charging for the same reason. Maybe we will eventually get a browser and they can work that way but I wouldnt expect that in launch edition. Plan to bring your tablet if traveling.

• craig-merrow

March 6, 2023 at 2:16 am

I just put my collection on an iPod and plug into the USB port in my Prius.

• stephen-drake

March 7, 2023 at 7:31 am

I’m hoping that there can be an aux jack. Besides streaming from a phone, these are super handy and flexible, and extremely cheap and simple to implement.

• curtis-cibinel

July 26, 2023 at 5:31 pm

Physical plugs provide a lot of flexibility for people to add devices for their needs. We know Aptera can’t have industry leading software because that takes a ton of $ to develop so an aux port and maybe even an HDMI port (to watch things when charging/camping) would be really nice (not happening in launch edition). We really don’t know how the infotainment hardware plan has evolved since the development work from crank software but given that the Toradex iMX 8 is from 2016 I doubt that is the exact hardware they will ship in 2024. One big benefit of using this kind of SOC with a linux OS is that changing the hardware is less difficult as vendors and available hardware changes.

• maxj

July 25, 2023 at 7:29 am

Any leads on this? I use Apple Music (which, while not as popular as Spotify, is still popular), and a lot of cars with aux ports and/or wired CarPlay can stream music with it at lossless 48 kHz 24-bit. Same goes for Amazon Music. I would really prefer a wired option over Bluetooth for better streaming fidelity and less latency.

• Shawgrin

July 25, 2023 at 11:32 am

Headphone jacks are going the way of DVD, 8 tracks and Beta Max. Many newer devices are using the USB-C to USB-C for data transfer, Photos and Music. If you do not like Bluetooth or Wifi connections, USB-C could be for you. Notes: USB-A & C are required for many vehicles to use Apple and/or Android Auto at all.

• Sam

January 29, 2024 at 6:41 am

Looking forward to some updates to the sound system.

• Rickytan

February 3, 2024 at 5:15 pm

This was my main concern aptera seeing multiple videos on patera we all need some sort of a sound system

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Pierre Mcdade.
  • Shawgrin

March 8, 2024 at 12:03 pm

I noticed that the vehicle selection page no longer has a sound system upgrade that Aptera offered until recently. So are the upgraded sound systems standard instead of an option now or is Aptera no longer offering the upgrade to any of the Apteras they are getting ready to produce?

• ROMAD

March 8, 2024 at 12:21 pm

Yes, the enhanced audio was made standard when Aptera announced the LE model back in late 2022/early 2023.

or to reply.