Sandy Munro speaks

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Sandy Munro speaks

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Sandy Munro speaks

• Sandy Munro speaks

Posted by george-hughes on September 5, 2022 at 4:53 pm

While it is common knowledge that Sandy Munro, who has become an icon in the EV industry world-wide, is an ‘investor’ in Aptera he’s been very reserved in talking about Aptera. I assume that is because of the NDA’s he has as part of his consulting contract with Aptera.

And he did have that first sit down with Chris where they went through the concept of the vehicle. I recall, for instance, his observation of the crashworthiness of Aptera in that quarter-front barrier impact test. But I’ve not hardly heard a peek, only a few video snippets of him in the production facility.

I did the notice he’s going to be at the show on the 10th. I also noted Arcimoto, whom he also provides significant consulting and promotion – he has been present at some big Arcimoto events providing his respected opinions on the vehicles.

I’m just wondering if he’s going to speak about Aptera in some official “Aptera” capacity or is he here because of Arcimoto or a specific invitation from the show itself. I suspect it may be the latter, that the folks from the show who also list Corey Stuben as a panelist in one of the presentations.

Also, are the events going to be livestreamed? I suspect we’ll get some reports from folks ranging from the Aptera Owners Club, Munro Live, Transportation Evolved and Drive the Lightening as well as others.

Mike-Mars replied 5 months, 2 weeks ago 22 Members · 33 Replies
  • 33 Replies
  • Sandy Munro speaks

Mike-Mars updated 5 months, 2 weeks ago 22 Members · 33 Replies
  • len

September 5, 2022 at 5:07 pm
    • george-hughes

September 5, 2022 at 6:53 pm

Thank’s for the poster Len. I looked at the program but the images as they displayed on my refurb 17-inch chromebook were pretty hard to make out as the type was extra small on the small screen and there was some kind of zoom max that was far below what I do on a real PC.

Chris, the show’s host and Monro are unveiling the Aptera. That’s cool. I would have thought that deserved a topic of its own instead of a few casual mentions, almost in passing.

What is happening in personal transportation is a revolution that changes how and where we get our energy. With much of this new energy coming from the sun – all we have to do is capture it – this effort challenges the powers that be in the legacy energy industry. This is a conflict and the new energy folks have a trump card – adopt solar, wind with storage because the alternative is we sink, for starters, Miami and Manhattan. The challenge is we have to do this quickly or it doesn’t make any difference.

These guys are key influencer’s in this space – especially Monro … and this is on top of his value as a consultant on lean manufacturing.

• john-malcom

September 5, 2022 at 7:45 pm

Perhaps influencers in the retail space, not so much where it is needed right now and that is the capital acquisition space. Sandy has been publicly associated with Aptera for sometime but Aptera is still struggling to get capital to go to production.

Still, once in a startup’ s lifetime for their 10 minutes of fame. Lets hope it is enough to jumpstart the flow of investment. Hopefully gamma is sufficiently finished to make a good impression. At least we know it is the Sol.

• kerbe2705

September 5, 2022 at 11:26 pm

This tells us that it’s not the design buck they’ve been using for the recent Gamma videos and photos – which is obviously a Luna with Codex interior.

• kerbe2705

December 15, 2022 at 3:39 pm

If you’re unfamiliar with the work of Munro & Associates, look them up!

https://youtu.be/PiW69J-FQ38

• vorg

November 5, 2023 at 12:41 am

How did I miss this video? I’ve been watching Sandy longer than I’m willing to admit. I always say; mechanics hate him but engineers love him and I work for OEMs; so engineers win.

His affirmation of Aptera is (and more importantly his and his firm’s help in developing Aptera) are such a bull signal. But I’m biased. I’d want this car if it came with a v12 and cost $100k.

• Mike-Mars

November 5, 2023 at 1:40 am

He’s a significant early investor, so would benefit from spreading positive sentiment. Good to have him on board, of course, but from an investment viewpoint you need to treat his statements in the same category as ChrisA or SteveF’s statements.

• david-marlow

December 16, 2022 at 2:53 am

Go Sandy. Go Aptera. This kind of support we can always use more of.

• chakman-yeung

December 17, 2022 at 6:02 am

Sandy’s been a feature on a few other car sites I look at for the latest gossip on cars. I know he knows his stuff, but I would have liked to hear more about what he’s doing within Aptera to influence design and manufacture.

• jesthorbjorn

December 17, 2022 at 8:19 am

The more teaser shots of delta that we have gotten to see, the more self evident it has become to me that Sandy has had a great deal of influence on the design and fabrication plan of the Aptera. The latter they have been touting for some time so nothing new there.

More recently it seems that the switch to the carbon fiber composite body was, if not his idea, then at least heavily sponsored by him.

In his recent video from Canoo’s manufacturing facility, I picked up on Sandy’s opinion that body-on-frame construction is superior in several important respects to the unibody construction favored by big auto for the last several decades. Shortly there after we get CAD renderings showing delta’s body-on-frame construction. My impression is that was not the original plan.

And what does that new frame appear to be made up of? Why, a handful of more-or-less complex (aluminum?) castings. Sandy has been unsparing in his praise of Tesla’s mega castings replacing welded sheet metal assemblies. Coincidence? I think not.

• jonah-jorgenson

December 17, 2022 at 9:50 am

Good observation I think!

The delta version of Aptera is a long way from the orginal concept instantiated in the alpha and a marked improvement in engineering for manufacturing and unit cost in time and dollars for large scale production. My grandfather who follows Aptera and a vehicle engineer for decades has great things to say about the tranformation.

Whether from Sandy and/or a combination of influences I don’t know, but the result is excellent. Kudos to Aptera leadeship for maintaining the original ethos while taking a giant step in comercialization

• Biker

February 1, 2023 at 10:36 am
    • jesthorbjorn

February 1, 2023 at 11:19 am

Hmm. What stood out to me was Sandy saying the yoke was his favorite type of steering. Maybe a little bit more influence that he had on the design.

• christopher-barrett

May 25, 2023 at 5:48 am

Sandy Monro at Electrify Expo has some words about Aptera, around 5:25 till the end of this he speaks about Aptera, and boldly predicts a production date.

Sandy Munro Interview at Electrify Expo – YouTube

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Christopher Barrett. Reason: Leaving the right time on the clip
    • This reply was modified 11 months ago by  Gabriel Kemeny.
  • bruce-mengler

May 25, 2023 at 6:03 am

THANKS! This is encouraging NEWS!

• wingsounds13

May 25, 2023 at 7:46 am

That was interesting, there was no hesitation in Sandy’s response. Asked and answered desd flat, no maybe, no sort-of, no around or about. I hope he’s right. I also noticed that when he was talking about Aptera he said “we”, not “they”. He considers himself to be part of Aptrra, not just a consultant.

• Greek

May 25, 2023 at 8:17 am

Definitely agree on your perception. It is well known aside from being highly vested into APTERA, he seems to have huge affection towards APTERA. As an Ambassador I always find myself saying we to others when I am introducing APTERA to perspective investors or reservation holders. As much as I follow and respect Sandy Munro, not everything he touches turns to gold. It is very easy to show enthusiasm for something you support but it doesn’t necessarily guarantee success. I will say though Mr Munro does get me jacked up. He does seem to release information that may be ahead of what APTERA wants to offer.

• JRWiley

May 25, 2023 at 12:15 pm

Munro: “2,000 a month beginning in September”. That doesn’t fit, not even close, to anything Aptera has told us. I’m very confused.

• ROMAD

May 25, 2023 at 12:59 pm

Perhaps that is the START of the FIRST 2000 for the “Accelerator” investors.

• Riley

May 25, 2023 at 1:36 pm

I agree, the way I Interpret it aptera will build the first 2,000 and by that point should be at 20,000 per year and continue to ramp after that.

• john-malcom

May 25, 2023 at 1:34 pm

Agreed! Either wishful thinking assessed against all other released information by Aptera representatives to include the CO-CEOs, or perhaps meant to mislead to support confidence in potential investors for early returns on their late investments. Too much to do from end of May to September (Four months) to have a production Delta for certification and safety testing, complete that testing, equip, train, and spin up a production line to say nothing about business operations to support sales and delivery. (Warranty service, financing, customer care, etc.)

I guess stirring the rumor/specuation pot. A favorite pastime in Aptera social media.

• Greek

May 25, 2023 at 1:38 pm

I do believe the September time line may correspond with APTERA doing their testing for the vehicle. Nothing can be available for delivery until their test mules are delivered and the vehicle is put through all that is needed to complete their testing, especially safety of the vehicle which will be paramount in convincing the public that 3 wheels can be as safe as four.

• Mike-Mars

May 26, 2023 at 9:35 am

Delta in September is plausible (hand-assembled vehicles), however I can’t imagine LE vehicles arriving this year. There is still too much needed on the production line IMO.

• norman-roberts

May 26, 2023 at 10:43 am

even when production line is up and running, Deltas will still be hand built. Parts are assembled by hand, doing so without production line is possible just less efficient. If they have the production parts available, assembly of several vehicles should not be difficult .

• thomas-edmonds

July 14, 2023 at 7:32 pm

Probably our most recognized and respected advocate is Sandy Munro.

Is there anything that would stop him from promoting Aptera?

He hasn’t been very vocal it seems.

• thomas-edmonds

July 15, 2023 at 10:02 am

Sandy may be unpolished, but he is a disruptor, and people listen when he talks!

This industry needs disrupting. Being dramatic and a bit of a rebel draws attention these days. That’s Sandy.

• len

July 14, 2023 at 7:47 pm

He is in several You Tube videos Aptera and many others

At the Sep 2022 Fully Charge LIVE event (+ Gamma Reveal) he was at the Aptera booth every time I looked on both days. Even outside the the show. But you are right… Can’t get enough of Sandy!

• BigSky

July 14, 2023 at 9:31 pm

He has been pretty involved, but he isn’t a salesperson. So, he makes appearances and shows his support, but his communication isn’t polished. I think they are using him to the extent he is the most help.

• michael-kruse

November 1, 2023 at 3:06 pm

I’m not looking for Waldo, but has anyone heard about or from Sandy Monroe?

Last I heard was his infamous September LE production prediction!

Does he mean 2024,2025 or was he just blowing ICE smoke?

Help!

• Greek

November 1, 2023 at 3:18 pm

Sandy is an extremely busy person involved with his own company. He does a weekly appearance on Sandy Live. He is extremely sawed after and will occasionally do work with APTERA. He is a major investor with APTERA, but is not directly involved with everything and or every day business of APTERA.

• ROMAD

November 1, 2023 at 5:01 pm

or to reply.