Side and rear view mirrors/cameras

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Side and rear view mirrors/cameras

Aptera Community Aptera Discussions Side and rear view mirrors/cameras

• Side and rear view mirrors/cameras

ROMAD updated 1 month ago 50 Members · 76 Replies
  • JRWiley

August 12, 2023 at 11:44 am

Can someone please tell me what happens in the rear view screen overhead and the side view screens just above the yoke when a car or truck with very bright headlights is close behind at night, shining bright lights into the cameras? In the pre-camera days we could tilt the mirror to dim the view, making it less bright for the driver. Does something equivalent automatically occur with this technology to dim the view in the situation described above?

• Biker

August 12, 2023 at 12:36 pm

We will likely not know that kind of detail until some consumers provide feedback.

• alex-vanturion

August 12, 2023 at 1:18 pm

Worse case you could just splice both of the side camera power wires and drill a couple holes for some toggle switches. Although that could interfere with other integrated features I suppose.

It’s definitely a valid concern – I tend to use those toggle switches to shut my side cameras off at night as they’re not very useful in dark conditions and the monitor glare is annoying, even mounted on the A-pillars. The high-mounted rear “backup” camera and accompanying rear-view mirror display screen does a good enough job for blind-spot lane changes. That’s how things have played out with my van anyway.

• ROMAD

August 12, 2023 at 2:23 pm

Alex, the BACK-UP camera is mounted on the rear wheel housing. Only the “rear view mirror” camera and CHMSL are mounted at the top of the hatch.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Dennis Swaney. Reason: Replace a period typo with a comma
    • JRWiley

August 12, 2023 at 4:20 pm

I passed this question along to info@aptera. Their official response follows:

“Aptera’s camera-based rearview system is designed to function well in various lighting conditions, including situations where there may be bright lights from trucks or vehicles with strong headlights. The cameras are equipped with advanced technology that can handle varying light intensities and adjust accordingly to provide a clear view on the screen display. In addition, Aptera’s camera system is positioned strategically to minimize the impact of bright headlights from other vehicles. We are considering the challenges with bright headlights and designing the camera system to perform optimally in such situations. Our team is excited to share demonstrations of the vision system in our production vehicles.”

These guys are on it!

• harry-parker

August 14, 2023 at 11:21 am

If the Aptera display is anything like my Chevy Volt’s display, it will automatically dim and brighten responding to ambient lighting conditions. I can also adjust the display brightness with the twist of a knob. (That’s likely a control button or voice control in the Aptera.)

Also, displays won’t blind you like headlights in the mirror could, because displays can only go to 100% on. Paper white is as bright as displays get.

• craig-merrow

August 14, 2023 at 12:24 pm

That’s good to know; some people seem bent on burning holes through my back window with some of their high beams and driving lights.

• D2E

August 14, 2023 at 7:33 pm

I hope the screens might be like cell phones or laptops where one can adjust the display brightness. I tend to see better at night with my dash dimmed pretty low.

• ROMAD

December 19, 2023 at 12:39 pm

Since I’ve never had a car that replaced the rear view mirror with a camera & screen, I’m wondering how they handle bright lights shining directly into the camera. Does the camera or screen have an auto dim circuit? My Prius had an autodimming rear view mirror but the sensor was in the bottom of the mirror housing and did not work very well.

• Kamakiri

December 19, 2023 at 3:35 pm

Since the view is digital camera based, I’d expect it to perform this overall as an autoexposure function. This would generate a reasonable histogram and appropriate contrast for viewing on screen.

• bryan-hendricks

December 20, 2023 at 5:18 pm

One of our cars gives me the option of using the high center mirror as either a traditional mirror or as a screen for a rear mounted camera. My experience with the camera/screen at night has been vastly superior to using a traditional mirror at night. The brightness level adjusts automatically within a pretty wide range. Overexposure can still be a problem in extreme cases. At least overexposure on the camera/screen isn’t painful.

My biggest gripe with using the high center mirror for camera/screen is the focal length. My old eyes sometimes struggle to rapidly adjust to such extreme differences in focal length. At the end of the day, I still choose to use the camera/screen instead of mirror because of the benefits of using a camera that adjusts so easily to various lighting conditions. Bright lights aren’t painful. Images that might appear completely black in a mirror are often easily readable on the camera/screen. The field of view is wider (not constrained by the width of the rear window as viewed from the driver’s seat).

I thought I would have more problems with rain rendering the camera unusable. It happens, but I’ve had far more problems with rain, fog and snow on a rear window.

Your mileage may vary.

• Dr.D

January 31, 2024 at 8:31 am

After cleaning off the rear view camera on my car, I thought about the Aptera. In particular, I wonder how clean the side cameras and rear camera (not back up camera) will remain in bad weather. The LE version has the trunk cover with solar cells, so no help there. Perhaps the air flow will naturally keep these cameras clean?

• len

January 31, 2024 at 9:04 am

I haven’t used it myself but perhaps a product like RainX could help keep these areas cleaner and the laminar flow of air sweeps by(?)

• Kamakiri

January 31, 2024 at 9:40 am

I imagine those that aren’t vertically challenged will be able to reach the rear camera from the side. Hopefully, the lens doesn’t create a dust collection spot with flow separation and an adverse pressure gradient. Otherwise, being topside should generally be low on dust accumulation. Ideally, it could be designed for a specific flow structure to essentially clean it.

• robert-wakeman

March 30, 2024 at 9:54 am

I like redundancy. I know the side mirrors cause drag but sorry I like them. And I would like a mirror to look out the back and view cargo area. And yes I will wait for the rear hatch with a glass window. I like the cameras to if one isn’t working I’ll have the other for backup.

Page 3 of 3

or to reply.